Monday 23 November 2009

Globalization and its Discontents

This week, well actually in the last few days, I have experienced what happens when globalization goes wrong-internet fraud and social welfare disaster!

I had a large trollery of groceries at Tescos this afternoon and was paying, when the lady at the check-out said 'payment not going through'. I thought it was a bit strange as there is never usually a problem. I called Lloyds, the bank, and they said they were suspicious of fraud-they noted two transactions-that of 180 pounds to a German bet shop and a ticket on easyjet. GERMANY!!?? How does that happen. Some chap sitting on his computer in Germany hacked into my account, and funded his gambling addiction. Lloyds said they would refund me for any loss.

I was working last night as usual at the union. I was talking to the manager earlier in the evening and looking at an out of place looking man in the bar and he told me to keep an eye out for him. He asked for a tea, then said, 'no, can I have Earl grey, I don't like this one' so I poured him another one. Ten minutes later he came back and said 'can I have a coffee instead?'. I said 'not unless he paid for one'. He went on and on, and asked for a refund; I then asked him for his union membership card, and he threw the mug of tea on me. We chased him but he was gone. Then tonight, as I was behind the bar, he came in again and threw a bag of stones at me! It appears he was from the home-less house, which is, ironically, located opposite, the most prestigious debating union in the world! Other than his madness, it shows the nature of social-inequality in Britain!

Starting for St. Peters tomorrow at hooker, then LASH!! afterwards...

No comments: