Tuesday 18 August 2009

Summer 2009-Cape-Town/Kariba/21st/Work

It been a while since I last blogged-I should really get in the habit of writing a bit reguarly, rather than long chunks every once in a while.

I completed exams in mid-May, and then went to Cape-Town for 2 weeks with Francesca. We stayed with Emma and Alistair in their very nice flat in Rondebosch. We spent most of the time dining in good restaurants, driving around and seeing different sites and went to Franschoek (French Corner) for a weekend which was great fun. I managed to meet up with some friends whilst there, and paid a visit to African Impact in Noordhoek to speak to Rob Graham about the agency for Oxford.

I then flew on to Harare to spend most of the summer. On about the second night back, I was watching the 20/20 cricket tournament and so didn't hear dad calling from his room (mum was away playing bridge). Anyway, when she returned and came back, she rushed in to say that dad had collapsed. We called the ambulance, but they would not come as they said they didn't accept Inter-Global health insurance-which turned out to be a mistake, so we had to drive him there. It turned out that he had a peptic ulcer that had burst and lost 70% if his blood-hence the collapse. A few days in hospital, then he was out and on the recovery.

The next week, Obadiah, our cook was crossing the main road and didn't see a car, which subsequently knocked him with its wing mirror. I thus made my second trip to hospital in a week-he was in for about a week-very lucky indeed, as his face was really messed up. It took him a good month to recover, but still not 100%.

Murray Turner invited me on a houseboat trip to Kariba early July-about 12 of us in all with some of his friends from South-Africa. Fishing was terrible-our team caught one fish that ended up slipping away! Relaxing trip and nice to get out of the city and away from the cold! James Brown, my good friend, was on a canoe trip on the Zambezi, and got knocked out of a canoe by a hippy and subsequently bitten on the arm and swung around under water. Very luckly to have come out in one piece, despite being hospitalized for two weeks-another few visiting trips to hospital for me!

I think one thing I have learn't is to be grateful of each day that passes with no unfortunate events happening-accidents etc. Because, once you, or a close family/friend is critical, life seems so out of control and you can't do anything but wait. Suddenly, all those career ambitions/wealth etc mean nothing when you are in those desperate circumstances.

I had my 21st party on the 18th July which was really enjoyable, and am grateful to my parents for making it happen. Lots of family and friends were there which was nice. The following weekend I had some friends over dinner and a poker evening which we played until 7am! Good fun, albeit losing $5.

I went to Mozambique for a few days to stay with Dave Sole at his farm. We chatter over many ideas for his farm, and I really loved it, and feel Mozambque has huuge potential for business and development in the future. Will definitely be back again.

Worked on a research document for the Brenthurst Foundation. This meant mapping out what research activity was going on in the country, and I found it interesting meeting NGO's/government etc.

No comments: