Monday 16 March 2009

Week 7 (11)

Summer is well on its way, and its incredible how much energeting one becomes-all the winterly weather is subsiding and I can now go outside with shorts and a shirt on! Although, on the other hand I bought an expensive jacket the other day and now I'm gonna have to pack it away for another year!

Rowed in the Kingston head of the river this past weekend and came second in the novice category, but had a really bad race, one of the rowers crabbed and was generally very scrappy compared to senior 3. Anyway, had a pretty good ergo session today, have improved a lot since Christmas where I was 'stuck' on one score couldnt really get off-feel I have broken the psychological barrier and am moving down reasonably well. London head this weekend and will hopefully be a good race.

Been quite a social week-went for a pint with my macro group and turned out to be an all nighter-I find a lot that the best nights are those that are planned at short notice when you aren't expecting much, rather than those that are planned and looked forward to for ages! Had a curry with the novice rowers on Cowley Road after the Kingston race-we bought drinks first and saw they had 'Tusker' beer which I think is an alright drink, or perhaps its the fact that it is from Africa that I enjoy it! Introduced some of the guys to it and they thought it was terrible! What can Africa produce that is up to scratch with the western world!?

Was reading a paper today and saw that the average individual has lost 40,000 pounds this since the credit crisis began-including house price falls/securities etc. Government prancing around trying to stimulate the flow of credit but I really believe Britain and much of the first world will enter a long period of stagflation similar to Japan and its 'lost decade'. I would not buy a single asset here I dont think so for a long time to come! I also think its the end of the road for big flashy careers in investment banking in 'the city' for the time-being anyway-cannot believe how bankers are making huge losses and still demanding massive bonuses-I think its ludicrous-Goodwin of RBS is due to have a pension of nearly a million pounds a year, when he made the biggest loss in British history, AND had to be bailed out by the government-surely that is unacceptable greed!?

I think I'm going to cancel my trip to Malta over the Easter break as I really need to get some hours of work in before exams in May, but definitely going to try to get to Portugal for a surf trip after exams.

No comments: