Wednesday 1 October 2008

Start of Year 2

Arrived in the UK on the 14th September and had a warm introduction by having all my cigarettes, and all that my summer work pay went into taken away by customs! I took it on the shoulder and continued to Oxford for the second year and arrived at the new house at midnight where my housemate Kelly kindly waited for me to get back. The first week I spend getting everything in order, changing from marketing to economics which I find is a lot more stimulating, and also I feel that you are exposed to better teachers, and treated more like proper university students as opposed to marketing.

Rowing training started with a bang, with us all going on a 20km run round Oxford, which I completed in about 1hr 25mins, however I couldnt walk the next day! We go on a long run about once a week, do two 20min ergos free rate on a Monday, weights, water rowing and circuits all of which add up to well over ten hours per week! I am enjoying the challenge of it and will be interesting to see where I am this time next year.

I am reading the Undercover Economist at the moment, which I find really interesting-the author uncovers truths about business and economics, such as with fair-trade coffee, only about 5-10% of the extra you pay actually goes to the farmers, and the rest to Starbucks, as they are only obliged to pay the fairtrade dealer, not the farmers, and so make a killing out of customers that mean well!!

I have a numeracy test for economics next week which will be challenging, as it involves lots of algebra...

I am in the middle of getting my placement sorted, with cv's and the lot, and is clearly going to be a long task!

I am off to Turin, Italy, tomorrow for a rowing trip which should be good-all on the university, but have to get to the sports centre by 3.45am!

1 comment:

Emma Frances said...

Hey ed, wow I really enjoyed reading that. You are writing so well and it's all so interesting. Will get Al to give it a read too, it is very impressive!! Look forward to reading some more news!!!